DISULFIRAM — Description

Home Forums Alcohol and Drug Treatment Disulfiram DISULFIRAM — Description

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  MJ 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

MJ

Disulfiram is used to treat chronic alcoholism. It causes unpleasant effects when even small amounts of alcohol are consumed. These effects include flushing of the face, headache, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, weakness, blurred vision, mental confusion, sweating, choking, breathing difficulty, and anxiety. These effects begin about 10 minutes after alcohol enters the body and last for 1 hour or more. Disulfiram is not a cure for alcoholism, but discourages drinking.

This medication should never be given to a patient who is intoxicated. It may cause a reaction with alcohol up to 14 days after ingestion.

mckenziecollins1039
    Participant

Is it okay to use bleach products while I’m on disulfiram?

MJ

Yes, you could safely use bleach products. You only have to stay away from any products that contain alcohol such as mouthwash, toothpaste, shampoo. ALways read the label of any item you use to be sure that it does not contain alcohol.

luisedwards112
    Participant

I always crush my medications when I take them. Can this also be done with disulfiram?

MJ

Yes, this drug may be crushed if you prefer. Then it could be mixed with water, tea, milk, coffee, or fruit juices.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.