ESOMEPRAZOLE — Description

Home Forums Acid Reducers Esomeprazole ESOMEPRAZOLE — Description

This topic contains 17 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  MJ 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

MJ

Esomeprazole is used to treat certain stomach and esophagus problems (such as acid reflux, ulcers). It works by decreasing the amount of acid produced by your stomach. It relieves symptoms such as heartburn, difficulty swallowing, and persistent cough.

This medication helps heal acid damage to the stomach and esophagus, helps prevent ulcers, and may help prevent cancer of the esophagus. It belongs to a class of drugs known as proton pump inhibitors (PPIs).

mckenziecollins1039
    Participant

Which is better between omeprazole and esomeprazole?

MJ

A study between omeprazole and omeprazole has shown that esomeprazole is able to inhibit acid far superior than omeprazole. Forty milligrams of esomeprazole is more effective than double the standard dose of omeprazole. Also, esomeprazole is well-tolerated by the patients. Thus, between the two, esomeprazole is the better drug.

brad
    Participant

When should I take this medication?

MJ

Proton-pump inhibitors, or drugs that end in “-prazole” are recommended to be taken on an empty stomach, preferably 30 minutes to an hour before meals.. This is to allow the medication to take effect and suppress acid production before food is introduced into the stomach since the presence of food would always increase the acid production in the stomach.

richardrodriguez
    Participant

I had the misfortune of ignoring my frequent heartburn that now I am diagnosed with GERD. So my doctor prescribed me with Esomeprazole Magnesium a combination which is my maintenance.

hansenberry
    Participant

My mother shares the same sentiment. But she takes them for 1 week then goes back to taking them as needed when she feels the symptoms again.

MJ

Esomeprazole shouldn’t be taken for long-term use though, as it may cause high risk of stomach lining inflammation.

damonblaese
    Participant

I feel much better after 2 to 3 days of taking the medicine as prescribed to me. But I always have one with me on hand should I ever need one.

kylereed
    Participant

Hi guys. I feel bloated when I take esomeprazole. Is this normal? I feel kind of fat because of it.

MJ

Some heartburn drugs such as esomeprazole may cause bloating and weight gain. Highly recommended to see your doctor should you need to take this drug for long term use.

coleevans
    Participant

Hi kyle, I was told, as clichéd as it may sound, to couple this regime with exercise. I’ve been going for morning walks for a month now and so far don’t feel as heavy as I opted to feel.

mckenziecollins1039
    Participant

I agree with that statement. I do feel energized as well.

Theodore14
    Participant

What happens if I skipped a dose of esomeprazole? Can I still take the missed dose?

MJ

Rule of thumb, never double dose. Take the missed dose as soon as you can but if it’s nearing the next dose, skip the missed one and go back to the proposed medication regime given to you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.