FAMOTIDINE — Special Considerations

Home Forums Acid Reducers Famotidine FAMOTIDINE — Special Considerations

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  MJ 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

MJ

The following must be considered when taking Famotidine:

1. This can cause a severe allergic reaction so if you have trouble breathing, rashes, or swelling of the throat or tongue, call your doctor or go to the nearest emergency room.

2. Those with moderate to severe kidney problems may may not be able to excrete the drug from the body completely and will then increase the levels of the drug in the body. Make sure that your doctor has cleared you to take this medication.

3. This medication must only be used in pregnancy if clearly needed and with the advise of your doctor.

4. This drug passes into breast milk and may lead to side effects to your breastfed child.

Theodore14
    Participant

Can I take famotidine at any time or the day for heartburn instead of taking it at night?

kylereed
    Participant

Yes. I’m on 20mg twice a day of famotidine as advised by my doctor.

Theodore14
    Participant

Thanks for your answer. It would make my life a bit easier to take it when I need it instead of waiting until bedtime.

MJ

Hi Theodore! I agree with kylereed. It can be taken during the day. However, please take note that it could make you sleepy. For me personally, it didn’t make me sleepy when I take it, but for some people I know, it does. But if you are advised to take it daily, you should still take it at the same time every day. So if you do decide to take it in the morning, it should taken every morning at the same schedule.

Theodore14
    Participant

Thank you. I wasn’t prescribed with it for daily use (thank god). I didn’t want to take it daily as I have weaned myself off a PPI that I was on for 8 years. Trying to control it with food but need ‘something’ in case the acid gets uncontrolled so I take famotidine or if I want a quick fix I use ranitidine.

Theodore14
    Participant

Is it safe to take Famotidine with Dramamine? I take Dramamine on a daily basis because it helps control my nausea. I took famotidine today because I’m experiencing too much stomach acids. But I forgot I had taken them and also took dramamine. Should I be worried?

MJ

Yes, it’s okay to take famotidine and dramamine together. There haven’t been any interactions recorded between these medicines. However, though you shouldn’t worry, it does not mean that it is definitive that totally no interaction exists. Therefore, if you do experience any odd symptoms, it would be best to see your doctor.

brad
    Participant

Can I use Famotidine for acid reflux every night? Is there any negative side effect if used long-term? When I use it every night, I don’t experience reflux but if I stop it, the reflux returns.

MJ

Famotidine, like other proton pump inhibitors are usually prescribed as a long-term treatment for managing reflux symptoms. However, it is essential that you use the lowest effective dose and are being monitored by your doctor regularly. It may be safer to take this medication on an “as needed” basis instead of taking it on a “daily” basis but you need to discuss this with your doctor since he is aware of your total health status.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.