IVABRADINE — Side Effcts and Special Considerations

Home Forums Angina Pectoris Ivabradine IVABRADINE — Side Effcts and Special Considerations

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    MJ

When taking Ivabradine, dizziness or tiredness may occur. Mild side effects may go away within a few days or a couple of weeks. If they’re more severe or don’t go away, consult with your doctor.

SIDE EFFECTS that COULD BE SERIOUS include, but is not limited to:
    1. fast, irregular, or pounding heartbeat
    2. slow or stopped heartbeat
    3. chest pain or pressure
    4. worsening shortness of breath
    5. dizziness
    6. excessive tiredness
    7. lack of energy
    8. swelling of the face, throat, tongue, lips, and eyes
    9. difficulty swallowing or breathing
    10. hoarseness

If you experience any of these symptoms call your doctor immediately or get emergency medical treatment.

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS
    1. Avoid eating grapefruit or drinking grapefruit juice while using this medication unless your doctor or pharmacist says you may do so safely. Grapefruit can increase the chance of side effects with this medicine.

2. This drug may make you dizzy or cause vision changes. Alcohol or marijuana (cannabis) can make you more dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs alertness or clear vision until you can do it safely. Be especially careful when driving at night because sudden changes in light brightness can happen, which may set off vision changes

3. This medication is not recommended for use during pregnancy. It may harm an unborn baby.

4. The following medications could affect the removal rate of ivabradine from your body:
    a. azole antifungals (such as itraconazole, ketoconazole)
    b. macrolide antibiotics (such as clarithromycin, telithromycin)
    c. diltiazem
    d. HIV protease inhibitors (such as nelfinavir, ritonavir)
    e. nefazodone
    f. rifamycins (such as rifabutin, rifampin)
    g. St. John’s wort
    h. verapamil
    i. drugs used to treat seizures (such as carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin)

coleevans
    Participant

I have been taking ivabradine for a few months now and haven’t felt any symptoms of heart failure since. I am planning to stop taking this medication so as to rest my kidneys and not be dependent on the medication. Is this safe?

MJ

Hello.. Ivabradine is usually prescribed for heart failure so I’m assuming you have the condition. This condition is chronic and progressive, which means that it gets worse with time. It would not be wise to stop taking ivabradine without your doctor’s advise. This medication simply controls the symptoms of heart failure – it does not cure it. But even though it doesn’t necessarily get better, the right medication and management will be able to help reduce the symptoms and slow down the progression of the condition. So, even when you feel well, you still need to continue taking it. Otherwise, your condition can get worse, which could lead you to need treatment in a hospital.
    Hope this made you understand the need to maintain your medications.

brad
    Participant

Can I crush my ivabradine tablet? I want to mix it with my juice so I wouldn’t have to taste the unpalatable taste of medicines.

MJ

sorry Brad, but unfortunately, ivabradine tablets are not to be chewed or crushed.

brad
    Participant

Oh, okay. I guess I’d just have to get used to the bitter taste. (yuck)
    Thanks for your response.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.