NALTREXONE — Description

Home Forums Alcohol and Drug Treatment Naltrexone NALTREXONE — Description

This topic contains 19 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  MJ 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

MJ

Naltrexone is used to help narcotic dependents who have stopped taking narcotics to stay drug-free, and for alcoholics to stay alcohol-free. The medicine is not a cure for addiction. Instead, it is used as part of an overall program that may include counseling, attending support group meetings, and other treatment recommended by your doctor.

It works by blocking the effects of narcotics, especially the “high” feeling that makes you want to use them. At the same time, it may block the “high” feeling that may make you want to use alcohol. It will not produce any narcotic-like effects or cause mental or physical dependence, nor will it prevent you from becoming impaired while drinking alcohol.

Naltrexone treatment is started after you are no longer dependent on narcotics.

mckenziecollins1039
    Participant

Will I be needing routine laboratory workups when I’ll be treated with naltrexone?

MJ

Naltrexone could have adverse effects to a person’s liver. So even before starting this, blood test will be done to ensure that the liver is functioning well enough to tolerate the medication. Routine testing will generally then be done every month for the first 3 months, afterwhich, frequency will be reduced. However, depending on the status of your liver, frequency of blood tests may still be increased.

richardrodriguez
    Participant

I heard that low dose naltrexone works well when trying to lose weight. Could this be true?

hansenberry
    Participant

Me too. A friend of mine mentioned that this is being prescribed off label for weight loss. Maybe because weight loss is a side effect of this drug.

damonblaese
    Participant

Though I haven’t really known someone who did take this medication, I do presume that there are doctors who had success in helping patients lose weight by prescribing them with very low doses of naltrexone. It treats addiction so I guess it could also treat food addiction.

MJ

This medication is being used off-label by some physicians to promote weight loss because generally, obese individuals that have elevated insulin levels will most likely also have increased levels of opiods which triggers a person’s cravings for sweets. Since naltrexone is an opiod antagonist, it will be able to lower an individual’s craving for sweets. So together with proper diet and increased physical activities and exercise, it will be able to help in the weight loss.

kylereed
    Participant

I personally have a friend who is taking this drug for an autoimmune disease. She is taking it off-label in low doses and I have seen her lose weight.

coleevans
    Participant

I am obese and my doctor told me that if I won’t be able to lose weight, it wouldn’t be long when I’ll have other health problems to deal with as a result of my obesity. So I was prescribed this drug to be taken in the morning and in the evening to assist in my weight loss. But since this medication is not covered by my insurance, I decided to get it from an online pharmacy (https://trusted-medications.com/buy/naltima-naltrexone-hcl/) to save some money.

mckenziecollins1039
    Participant

I started my treatment with low dose Naltrexone last July of this year and surely enough, my appetite decreased. I usually can’t function properly if I don’t get my dessert after EVERY meal. When I was on naltrexone, most of the time, I couldn’t even stomach getting the desserts in after my main meal. So technically, it was expected that I lost a few pounds even if it wasn’t really my intention.

kylereed
    Participant

Though my friend did lose weight on it, at one point, she stopped taking it because she was already feeling good and her disease isn’t bothering her anymore. A few months after, she went back to her doctor to start back on it not for her autoimmune disease, but this time, for weight loss since she let her weight get out of hand when she wasn’t on the drug.

richardrodriguez
    Participant

Now I’m more interested with this drug. I really need something that would stop my mind from being fixated on food. It’s really hard for me to say “no” to food. And most of the time, the foods I can’s say “no” to are all unhealthy foods. And when I do get fixated, I can’t forget about them unless I actually indulge them. This really caused my weight to shoot up.

MJ

If your food cravings and addictions are causing your health to deteriorate, it would benefit you greatly to talk with your doctor and discuss if this drug can be of help to you after he takes into consideration your current health status and any health history. Good luck!

richardrodriguez
    Participant

I will. I’ll go talk with my doctor by the end of the week and see where this goes.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

coleevans
    Participant

I started with this medication soon since my order from overseas is expected to arrive at my doorsteps this week. Can I start this medication whenever I want to?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.