May 12, 2020 at 3:12 am #468
The medication Nitroglycerin may cause side effects including, but not limited to:
COMMON SIDE EFFECTS
2. Low blood pressure
3. Fast heartbeat
4. Dry mouth
10. Blurred vision
11. Feeling of lightheadedness
Mild side effects may go away within a few days or a couple of weeks. If they’re more severe or don’t go away, consult with your doctor.
SERIOUS SIDE EFFECTS
1. Fainting or passing out
3. Strange sensations in the fingers and toes
4. Decreased sweating and increase in body temperature
5. Increased bleeding time or slower clotting
6. Low platelet count
7. Excessive scaliness or shedding of the skin
1. Those allergic to this medication or any of its inactive ingredients should not attempt to tek this medication.
2. People who have very serious kidney problems should not take nitroglycerin.
3. This drug should not be taken if a person has:
a. Just had a heart attack
b. Severe anemia
c. Narrow angle glaucoma or increased pressure within the eye
d. Used any drugs for erectile dysfunction belonging to a class called phosphodiesterase inhibitors (PDEs), like Viagra (sildenafil), Cialis (tadalafil), within the last 24 hours
e. Any sort of head trauma where you might have swelling or bleeding in the head
f. Overactive thyroid condition
g. Low systolic blood pressure (SBP)
h. A drop in blood pressure while standing
3. Tolerance to this medication for those taking this for long periods of time is possible. This is known as nitroglycerin tolerance and would appear that the drug have stopped working or become less effective.
4. Those who are pregnant or breastfeeding must discuss the risk and benefits with their doctor.May 21, 2020 at 12:59 pm #560
Does nitroglycerin tablets lose potency once opened? I found a bottle containing nitroglycerin tablets from last year in one of my cupboards while I was cleaning the kitchen. Will these tablets still be potent and can be used?May 21, 2020 at 1:07 pm #561
Nitroglycerin is a substance that easily evaporates from the tablet if not properly stored. A study shows that when tablets are kept in a small, amber, tightly capped glass bottle and stored in a refrigerator, the medicine is able to maintain the potency for three to five months if bottles are opened once a week. In your case, since your tablets are from last year, it has exceeded the 3-5 months allowance and considering that it has been left in a cupboard in your kitchen, the heat from the environment could have already damaged your tablets. It would be best to get new tablets to ensure potency.January 27, 2021 at 8:13 am #1041
Would it be okay to take this drug for high blood pressure?January 27, 2021 at 8:27 am #1042
Hi coleevans! Yes, it’s okay to take it for elevated blood pressure. This medication is actually used for treating chest pain, high blood pressure and heart attack. However, if you have persistent high blood pressure, it would be best to consult with your doctor so you will be provided with a medication regimen that could help you manage your hypertension.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.