OMEPRAZOLE — Description

Home Forums Acid Reducers Omeprazole OMEPRAZOLE — Description

• This topic has 13 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by MJ.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    MJ

Omeprazole is used to reduce the amount of acid in your stomach. It’s used to treat gastric or duodenal ulcers, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), erosive esophagitis, and hypersecretory conditions. It is also used to treat Zollinger-Ellison syndrome, a condition where the stomach produces too much acid. It is also used to treat dyspepsia, a condition that causes sour stomach, belching, heart burn, or indigestion.

In addition, omeprazole is used to prevent upper gastrointestinal tract bleeding in seriously ill patient, and sometiems, is used in combination with antibiotics (eg, amoxicillin, clarithromycin) to treat ulcers associated with the infection caused by the H. pylori bacteria.

brad
    Participant

Can omeprazole on its own cure H.pylori? how long will it take? and will it cause drowziness?

MJ

Hi Brad, unfortunately, no, omeprazole used alone won’t be able to cure H. Pylori. Since it is a type of infection, you will be needing a combination of omeprazole and antibiotics to fight the infection. Consult with your doctor so they may prescribe you with an antibiotic that could help.

Omeprazole does not cause drowsiness, btw.. =)

brad
    Participant

Okay, thanks for the info. Will talk with a doctor tomorrow.

luisedwards112
    Participant

How long does it take for the omeprazole to give relief? I took my first dose of omeprazole this morning and had my breakfast afterwards. I still experienced the same painful heartburn and had a stomach discomfort.

MJ

For me, it works well if I take my omeprazole capsule with a glass of water at least an hour before I take my breakfast. Oral medications generally starts to get absorbed after 30 minutes to 1 hour. It will also take a day or two before you will find some relief. If you are taking it for weeks already and no relief is afforded still, seek the advise of your GI doctor so he could do the needed adjustments in your medication. Good luck with your tummy troubles!

mckenziecollins1039
    Participant

Does this medication cause excessive flatulence? I’ve been experiencing an increase in flatulence and wondering if the medication is the culprit?

MJ

Yes, gas is a common side effect of omeprazole. If this is bothering you, you could seek your doctor’s advise. You may be able to take a medication that contains simethicone fof gas relief. It works by breaking down gas bubbles in your stomach.

coleevans
    Participant

What is the downside of long-term (years) use of omeprazole? I might need to take this long-term according to my doctor and I’d want to know what I’m getting myself into.

MJ

Long term use of this drum could increase the risk of osteoporosis-related fractures of the hip, wrist, or spine. Hypomagnesemia, or low magnesium levels, have also been associated with long term use. Therefore, magnesium levels must periodically be tested.

It is important to use the lowest doses and shortest duration of treatment necessary for the specific condition being treated. Hoping your condition improves sooner!

Theodore14
    Participant

When would be best time to take omeprazole the optimum effect, before eating, or after a meal?

MJ

Hi, Theodore. Omeprazole is best taken 30 minutes to one hour before meals unless otherwise advised by your doctor..

kylereed
    Participant

I had fractured my arm and my doctor prescribed me with omeprazole. I know this is for stomach issues so is this normal to be given for a fracture? I was also given meloxicam to take with the omeprazole.

MJ

Meloxicam is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug(NSAID) and these types of medication could damage the stomach lining so a proton pump inhibitor like omeprazole is usually prescribed to protect the stomach lining. You don’t have to take them at the same time but you shouldn’t take the meloxicam unless you have already taken the omeprazole.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.