OMEPRAZOLE — Side Effects and Special Consideration

Home Forums Acid Reducers Omeprazole OMEPRAZOLE — Side Effects and Special Consideration

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    MJ

Omeprazole doesn’t cause drowsiness, but can cause other side effects. This includes, but is not limited to:

COMMON SIDE EFFECTS
    1. headache
    2. stomach pain
    3. nausea
    4. diarrhea
    5. vomiting
    6. gas
    7. fever (in children)

Mild side effects may go away within a few days or a couple of weeks. If they’re more severe or don’t go away, consult your doctor.

SERIOUS SIDE EFFECTS
    * Low magnesium levels characterized by:
    1. seizures
    2. abnormal or fast heart rate
    3. tremors
    4. jitteriness
    5. muscle weakness
    dizzinesmethotrs
    6. spasms of your hands and feet
    7. cramps or muscle aches
    8. spasm of your voice box

*Vitamin B-12 deficiency characterized by:
    1. nervousness
    2. neuritis (inflammation of a nerve)
    3. numbness or tingling in your hands and feet
    4. poor muscular coordination
    5. changes in menstruation

*Severe diarrhea characterized by:
    1. watery stool
    2. stomach pain
    3. fever that doesn’t go away

*Inflammation of stomach lining characterized by:
    1. stomach pain
    2. nausea
    3. vomiting
    4. weight loss

*Bone fractures

*Kidney damage characterized by:
    1. flank pain (pain in your side and back)
    2. changes in urination

SPECIAL CONSIDERATION:
    1. The following medications should not be used with omeprazole:
    a. Atazanavir, rilpivirine, and nelfinavir
    b. Clopidogrel
    c. Voriconazole
    d. Saquinavir
    e. Digoxin
    f. Warfarin
    g. Phenytoin
    h. Cilostazol
    i. Tacrolimus
    j. Methotrexate
    k. Diazepam
    l. Citalopram
    m. Ampicillin
    n. Ketoconazole
    o. Mycophenolate mofetil (MMF)
    p. Iron salts
    q. Erlotinib
    r. St. John’s wort
    s. Rifampin

2. For people of asian descent, your doctor may give you a lower dose of this medication, especially if you’re taking it for erosive esophagitis.

3. If the drug is suddenly stopped or isn’t taken at all, acid reflux, heartburn, or ulcer symptoms may not improve, and may even get worse.

4. This is to be taken at least one hour before a meal.

5. Capsules must not be chewed or crushed.

6. Those with certain health issues such as liver function and magnesium levels should be monitored by their doctor.

hansenberry
    Participant

I have been taking omeprazole for 4 months and lately I have been feeling dizzy. Is this normal? I haven’t experienced this side effect when I started on this months ago.

MJ

You could be experiencing symptoms of low magnesium. Low magnesium could make you experience confusion, tiredness, muscle twitches, or dizziness. The magnesium level in a patient’s blood may fall if he has been taking omeprazole longer than 3 months. Since you have been feeling dizzy and you have been taking this medication for a while, you should tell your doctor so he could assess if it is because of the omeprazole or something else.

brad
    Participant

Does omeprazole have any effect on sexual activity? I am having erection problems lately and I’m concerned that the omeprazole could be the cause of it.

MJ

One of the reported side effects of omeprazole is impotence. Consult with your doctor to let him know of the problem. He may decide to try a different medication or reduce your dose. Hope your condition improves.

luisedwards112
    Participant

Does Omeprazole cause a decrease in bone mass? A cousin of mine used to take omeprazole for quite some time and stopped because she was told that it could lead to issues with her bones/arthritis.

MJ

Yes, taking proton pump inhibitors, such as omeprazole, long term may cause problems with your bones. However, if this medication was prescribed to you by your doctor. He might have assessed that the benefit from this medication outweighs the risk. But if you are still concerned, consult with your doctor so you could discuss in-depth the pros and cons of the medication and do adjustments if needed.

Theodore14
    Participant

Does Omeprazole cause weight gain? I am taking this medication for severe heartburn. I have been taking this for 4 weeks already and it seems that I have gained weight.

MJ

Weight gain is a also a reported side effect of Omeprazole. If this is troubling you or is getting out of control, try to see your doctor to discuss other options. Hope the weight gain gets controlled. Best of luck! =)

mckenziecollins1039
    Participant

Does Omeprazole interfere with the absorption of Fluvoximine and alprazolam? If it does, how far apart should I take this medications?

MJ

You could take the other medications first, then take the omeprazole after at least 30 minutes. This however doesn’t stop the interactions between the medications. The omeprazole can increase the blood levels and effects of alprazolam and increase risk of side effects such as excessive drowsiness or difficulty of breathing. While fluvoxamine can increase the effect of omeprazole. This does not mean you should not take them. It just means you need to be aware of this possible side effects so that you could immediately notify your physician for any unusualities. Frequent monitoring by your doctor will also be needed to safely use these medications together.

coleevans
    Participant

Is it OK to take more than one tablet of omeprazole during a 24-hr period? I forgot that I took one already.

MJ

The average dose of Omeprazole in adults is 20mg. Though it could also be safely administered at 40 mg (to be determined by your doctor). It would be okay if you accidentally took an extra dose on a specific day. No serious harm is done but do try to avoid doing it again because it’s not recommended especially without a physician’s advice. =)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.