RABEPRAZOLE – Description

Home Forums Acid Reducers Rabeprazole RABEPRAZOLE – Description

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  MJ 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

admin
    Keymaster

RABEPRAZOLE is classified under Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPI) which are used for the treatment of ulcers, erosive esophagitis, gastroesophageal reflux disease(GERD), or Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

This medication works by decreasing the acid-production in the stomach.

hansenberry
    Participant

Can Rabeprazole and famotidine both be taken together for GERD?

MJ

Hello hansenberry, no drug interactions were found between this two medications. However, it is still not recommended to take both medications together due to therapeutic duplication. Both of these medications fall under the “acid suppressant agents” category. Usually, only one acid suppressant is to be taken by a patient. Do take note that even if this is not recommended to be taken together, if both medications are prescribed to you by the same doctor after assessing your condition, he might have determined that the benefit of taking the medications in combination may outweigh any risk associated with the duplication.

Still, if you are simply planning to self-medicate, do not take both medications together.

hansenberry
    Participant

Oh, I was actually just self-medicating. I was prescribed with rabeprazole for my GERD but it seems not to do much. I was taking famotidine before I was shifted to rabeprazole. I think famotidine works better for me. However, I already took my prescribed dose earlier with no relief. I still have some famotidine lying around which I though could supplement. Well, I guess not. Thanks for the advise! Just in time. I was just about to make a mistake.

MJ

If you feel like your current medication doesn’t work as expected on you, it would be best to talk with your doctor so he could adjust your dose or shift you to another medication. Hoping you’ll feel better soon.

mckenziecollins1039
    Participant

I have been taking rabeprazole for a few years now and have not felt any symptoms anymore. Can I now stop taking this pill?

MJ

If you do choose to discontinue raberprazole, expect to experience acid rebound. Your medication has been blocking acid production so if you stop taking it, there will be a sudden increase of acid in your stomach and cause symptoms and stomach pain. It will then take a week or 2 to get it all back under control. Consult with your gastrointestinal doctor so you could discus on how to go about it with the least difficulty possible.

Theodore14
    Participant

Should I take ranitidine with food or on an empty stomach?

MJ

Hello Theodore! Rabeprazole is taken on an empty stomach while ranitidine can be taken with or without food.

richardrodriguez
    Participant

I’m on this medication for six months now. Is this okay for long term? I’m a bit worried.

MJ

If that was prescribed by your doctor for long-term use, you do not have to worry. Your doctor is able to weigh the benefits and risk of the medication with regards to your condition. There are also studies that show that long-term use of rabeprazole is safe as a 2-year maintenance therapy for gastro-esophageal reflux disease.

damonblaese
    Participant

I just started this drug this morning but it seems that it doesn’t work. Should I try something else?

MJ

I don’t think you need to change medication immediately. Give the medication time to work with your body. Those taking Rabeprazole usually starts to feel much better after two to three days. Though it could take this drug up to four weeks to properly work. So before then, you might still experience some symptoms. If the symptoms is mild and tolerable, just ride it through. You’ll eventually feel relief.

damonblaese
    Participant

Oh, okay. Thanks. I was also considering omeprazole. Is this better than rabeprazole? Coz if it is, I’ll gladly shift to omeprazole.

MJ

On the contrary, with the same dosage, rabeprazole is more effective over omeprazole. So rabeprazole would be your best choice for now. Hope this drug could relieve your symptoms soonest. =)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.