RANITIDINE — Description

Home Forums Acid Reducers Ranitidine RANITIDINE — Description

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    MJ

Ranitidine is used to treat ulcers of the stomach and intestines and prevent them from coming back after they have healed. This medication is also used to treat certain stomach and throat (esophagus) problems (such as erosive esophagitis, gastroesophageal reflux disease-GERD, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome). It works by decreasing the amount of acid your stomach makes.

Ranitidine may be used as part of a combination therapy wherein you may need to take it with other medications. It is typically used for short-term treatment, especially for GERD. If you’re taking this drug for other conditions, you may need long-term treatment. You may need to take it for several weeks or months.

Theodore14
    Participant

Should I take ranitidine with food or on an empty stomach?

MJ

Ranitidine can be taken with or without food. However, if you are taking it to prevent acid indigestion or to prevent heartburn, you need to take this medication at least 30 to 60 minutes before eating food or drinking beverages that can cause indigestion. You should not take more than two tablets within a 24-hour period unless specifically instructed by your doctor.

richardrodriguez
    Participant

Been taking fiber supplements for a few months now and was just prescribed with ranitidine. Is this safe if I take it at the same time?

MJ

If you need to take both for your health concerns, you may do so. But you would need to provide an interval between the two medications. Fiber supplements should be taken at least 4 hours before other medications or at least 2 hours after any medication. This is to ensure that the absorption of your medications won’t be hindered by the fiber.

richardrodriguez
    Participant

Thanks for the information! I think I’ll just take the ranitidine in the morning and my fiber supplement at night. That way, I wouldn’t need to keep track of the length of time between both medications.

MJ

That’s a good idea, Richard. =)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.