TRIMETAZIDINE — Description

Home Forums Angina Pectoris Trimetazidine TRIMETAZIDINE — Description

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  hansenberry 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

MJ

Trimetazidine is used for the treatment of chest tightness, medically known as angina pectoris. This medicine also prevents a sudden rise in blood pressure and also helps in reducing the frequency of angina attacks.

It works by producing a good supply of oxygen for the cells of the heart. The medicine also slows the beta-oxidation of fatty acids by blocking long-chain 3-ketoacyl-CoA thiolase, which increases glucose oxidation.

Trimetazidine is used in combination with other drugs for the symptomatic treatment of stable angina pectoris, chest pain caused by decreased oxygen supply due to reduced blood flow to the heart. This medicine is used when patients do not respond adequately to other agents or are intolerant to first line anti-anginal agents.

richardrodriguez
    Participant

My doctor made mention that this trimetazidine has a unique mechanism that sets it apart from other cardiac medications. It didn’t occur to me at that time to let him explain but now I’m curious. Any idea what he means by it?

MJ

Your doctor might be referring to trimetazidine’s capability to enhance a heart muscles’s energy output while most cardiac medications used for angina function by reducing the heart’s workload. It is believed that a potentially more effective mechanism to prevent a heart attack is to enhance its ability to produce energy instead of weakening the heart.

hansenberry
    Participant

I was told by my doctor to take this daily as my maintenance. Will I have to take this for the rest of my life?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.